The Federal Government says it will withdraw operational permit of transporters who flout safety protocols.
Sen. Gbemisola Saraki, the Minister of State for Transportation, had announced this in a statement signed by Mr Eric Ojiekwe, Director of Press and Public Relations in the Ministry on Wednesday in Abuja.
Senator Saraki quoted as giving the warning when she chaired a virtual meeting with the Forum of Nigerian Transport Commissioners. She, saying that it had been resolved that the implementation guidelines prepared by the ministry would be adopted to minimize the transmission of the pandemic.
Saraki pointed out that the interstate transport operators should apply and could only operate on confirmation of satisfaction of the defined guidelines by the state ministry of transportation. She said that the ministry at federal and state levels would regularly monitor the implementation and compliance to the guidelines.
The ministry would also monitor the impact of the measure on safety and minimizing the transmission of the novel corona-virus through the mass transit sector, she said.
Saraki further said that the, the overall objective is to protect passengers, operators and workers as well as preventing the spread of COVID-19.