Four inmates and one Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps personnel have been confirmed dead during the attack on the Kuje custodial center.
Boko Haram terrorists had attacked the center and freed inmates including 64 of their members held in the custody in the attack that lasted hours on Tuesday night.
A statement released on Wednesday by Umar Abubakar, the Service spokesperson said the terrorists used explosives on the center’s fence and its main entrance to gain access to the facility.
“In furtherance to my earlier press release on the unfortunate attack by gunmen suspected to be terrorists, I wish to state that the attackers broke into the Medium Security Custodial Centre, Kuje using explosive devices through the main entrance and the fence of the facility respectively, killing a personnel of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) attached to the Custodial Centre and living three (3) personnel of the Nigerian Correctional Service seriously injured,” the statement read.
He added that a total of 16 inmates and three custodial officers were injured during the attack.
Umar, however, said 879 inmates escaped from the facility while 443 had been recaptured and 551 are still at large.
“A total of 879 inmates escaped from the facility during the unfortunate attack. As of the time of this report, 443 have been recaptured, 551 inmates are currently in custody, 443 inmates are still at large, 4 inmates are dead and 16 inmates sustained various degrees of injuries and are being treated at the moment. However, efforts are ongoing to recapture all fleeing inmates.
“The Service will deploy its Corrections Information Management System in synergy with National Identity Management Commission to track all fleeing inmates and return them to custody,” Umar added.